Shiseido Benefiance Extra Creamy Cleansing Foam

Shiseido cleansing foam is something that I have been loyal to since 2008. I decided to stick to the brand not only because the cleanser works well, it also turned out to be the most economical choice since each tube lasts me at least six months. Last fall, when I was restocking at my local TJmaxx (where this retails for 20 bucks instead of the regular $36), I saw the Benefiance version and decided to give it a try. 

So far, I have tried most of the highend Shiseido cleansing foams: White Lucent (HG), The Skincare, Pureness and Benefique (yeah, that one with floral overload packaging). I hated the Pureness (which is for oily skin) but loved everthing else. Benefiance is designed for dry and/or mature skin, something that should work with my thinned out moisture barrier. 
Aside from the grandma powdery scent, the Benefiance cleanser has a thicker, almost paste like consistency. It foams and cleanses very well and unlike White Lucent, this doesn't make skin feel squeaky. It's wonderful at what it does except for one exception. The ingredient.

 Ingredients: Water, Potassium Stearate, PEG-8, Potassium Myristate, Glycerin, Dipropylene Glycol, Potassium Laurate, Stearic Acid, Myristic Acid, Glyceryl Stearate SE, Sorbitol, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Lauric Acid, PEG-60 Glyceryl Isostearate, Polyethylene, Sodium Methyl Cocoyl Taurate, Phytosteryl Macadamiate, Talc, Trisodium EDTA, Phytosteryl/Octyldodecyl Lauroyl Glutamate, Ethylcellulose, Sodium Hyaluronate, Sodium Benzoate, Fragrance, Iron Oxides.

See polyethylene? That's those non-biodegradable plastic microbeads that screw up marine ecosystem. It's commonly used as exfoliator and straight up filler (because plastic always costs less than the actual product). Since the gritty bits in the cleanser aren't dense enough to scrub, they are there mainly to fill! I am not a tree hugger but I am pissed that an established brand like Shiseido would also use this kind of ingredient. 

I am not a saint so I will keep using my tube (and have the beads washed down the drain). I will make an active effort next time, before I buy. 

Comments

  1. Gosh, criminal actions against the consumer and the environment! Glad you mentioned it because I would not have had any idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i say that because benefiance is not cheap. for that price adding fillers seems wronf

      Delete
    2. Don't worry,I totally get you. Recently their cleanser went up to 36 from 35. They were 33 back then and was such a splurge already. Right now I am gradually break away from foaming cleanser as part of my anti-dry skin routine. I actually am liking those low foaming/pasty cream cleanser from those organic brands. They are just kind of pricey price per use.

      Delete
  2. Can you do a post on "must have" Japanese drug store or high end makeup items? You seem very knowledgable in regards to Japanese products. I'm going to Tokyo next month and would appreciate some kind of direction, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading! I will try but in case I am behind(I don't have deadline on this blog) here is a short list of stuff I either really love, consider great value or heard endless raving for.

      1.Hakuhodo misako portable lip brush (my HG) and goat hair (undyed) retractable face brush

      2.Canmake Cream Cheek (Especially the clear ones)and lip and cheek gel. Their lip balm and Squeeze gloss are also quite nice. 500-700yen a piece but feel like product in the 1000 yen range.

      3.Visee nudy rich eyes are like Naked Palette for Asian. Easy to just slap on, great texture and quite flattering (I have Be-3 and BE-5). The brown in the Duo Rich eyes be-6 is also like a nudy rich for lazy people. Visee Glossy Rich pk-3 is the best selling shade and (to be honest) only one in the range that's worth buying. Be sure to check out their cream blusher.

      4.Addiction single eyeshadow. They won last years cosme award for overall performance. They are bit pricey for me though.

      5. Sana Excel Skinny Rich Shadow (There is a popular Lunasol beige beige dupe there) and skinny rich cheek. I have heard raving about their shiny and deep shadow as well.

      5.DHC lip cream and lash tonic.

      6.Kanebo brands lipstick. Coffret DOr premium stay rouge are great(when you get there the perfect stay rouge would be out by then) but you might as well hop right onto highend RMK irrisistible glow, Lunasol Full glamour lips and Chicca mesmeric lipstick (if and only if you like very sheer moistuizing lip stuff). The higher end ones do have noticeably better formula aside from sleeker packaging, totally worth the few extra bucks. I am not sure about suqqu because the gold x black tube is fugly.

      7.Suqqu. Well most of the good stuff are gone with the revamp. The ones released around 2010 are still good. Balancing eyebrow is my HG and liquid brow marker shouldn't be shabby. Their cheek brush has a cult following but I can't justify that much for it (I use cream blush anyway).

      8.Lunasol palettes -Again, most of my favorites are discontinued. Three dimensional eyes, geminate eyes are worth a look.You are better off ordering from Hong Kong based seller.

      9.IPSA creative concealer.Didn't try it myself but I saw so many people panning it. Wait...you might as well buy the three pan one from canmake.

      10. Integrate Pure Big Eyes (shitty packaging alert) - lovely wellcoordinate, glossy colors.

      That's from the top of my head. If I do a post it would be something like this. No skincare recommendation since I don't use that many J-products (you won't want to hoard bottles of toner home) and am alergic to most of their sunscreen.

      Delete
  3. You know what, me too! I've tried them all with the exception of Benefique, I think. My favorite was also Benefiance and I also stopped using it for the same reason: those damn microbeads.

    In fact, I've stopped buying anything with exfoliating microbeads and whenever I get them as freebies I toss them straight into the bin or give the more expensive ones away and wouldn't use them myself. Hate those! Urgh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found the benefique at Marshall on final clearance/ for 7 bucks! The packaging was in Japanese and nobody knew what it was...It works the same as the skincare with less squeak than white lucent. I want to try future solution next but it's bloody 60 bucks...Might as well buy SK2 right? *duckface*

      After I finish my hoard of white lucent I think I will stick with cleansing milk.

      Delete
  4. I have the ibuki cleanser and the white lucent cleanser but I find it leaves my face kinda "waxy" after use? Like it leaves a layer of film behind? What I'm doing wrong? I have a Lancome blanc expert cleanser which I much prefer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do leave some squeak on my face (that's why I always follow with toner). We don't have the whitening lines (for most western brands) in US, if they do I might stop by counters more often...

      Delete

Post a Comment

Leave a comment and I will get back to you! Commercial links and nameless comments WILL BE removed.