Almay Smart Shade Butter Kiss Lipstick - Pink for Light Medium Skin Tone

Almay is one of those brands that makes me wonder "Wait, it's still in business?". I get that they carry some great neutral/basics (I kind of sort of liked/ didn't hate their lengthening mascara some 8 years ago?) but I just don't find them as competitive while other drugstore brands roll out exciting new releases all the time. 

Anyway, I was still very excited when they rolled out the new Smart Shade Butter Kiss Lipstick late last year. Package wise, they look quite like (and is equally nice) the Revlon Lip Butter (I dissed it in my first review when I went on getting...20 of them?) and I was just happy to see similar product in more shade selection! 
Upon closer examination of the display, I think a great deal of Almay Smart Shade Butter Kiss Lipsticks look too similar to the lip butter I own (or owned, as I did a massive toss-out) so I just picked up this attractive bright pink (kind of hot pink but with more of a punchy than a blue-based undertone). The name was pink for light-medium skintone.
I think Almay Butter Kiss might have a smell, but it has been too cold for the scent particle to travel to my nose anyway (see, that's why wintery air smell so fresh!). The Lipstick is firm, not squishy and seems to have a bit of cream-jelly texture to it. Pigmentation is sheer at first swipe but can be easily built up (as the stick is warmed up).
 
Almay Pink for Light Medium Skin Tone. I like the color quite a bit...It's probably because as soon as I put it on. Heck! This (the color, formulation and wear) is exactly the same thing as Revlon Lip Butter in Sweet Tart (which has been conveniently discontinued winter of last year)! I perceive it (sweet tart) to be a cooler pink mainly because the blue pink outer packaging! 

The swatch might look different because different day, climate, lighting, camera and now I am older(drier skin and lips)...
Almay and Revlon side by side (which seems deeper as the stick has been used for several years and quite softened up). Just look at the top of the swipes. Anyway, I decided to go back to the display to take a look at the display...Then it's like the end of 7th Harry Potter book when (Harry was holding the resurrection stone and) all the dead friends came out to say hi...
Berry Smoothie, Strawberry Shortcake, Peach Parfait, Candy Apple
Sugar Plum or Pink Truffle?, Sweet Tart, Pink Truffle?, Cherry Pie
Or This is Pink Truffle ?, Raspberry Pie, Fig Jam, Red Velvet(ok, not too sure about the deeper nude shades)

Overall: Urgh. I guess I wouldn't mind having a back up of Sweet Tart. Side note to Almay/Revlon, this is not cool, this is not cool...

Comments

  1. Sorry that you ended up with a virtually same shade. At least it is pretty on you and wear nicely. Revlon does this within the brand, too. Despite that Revlon owns Almay, Almay used to maintain its own colors. Now it's all messed up. Almay used to make superb eyeshadows but now they are like old Revlon's. I still find their base is light and yellow enough for me to wear. Hope that doesn't change.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybelline does it too but they are usually the pretty shades from previous le that people missed. I don't mind they doing this (I am just kicking myself for not being able to see that from the start), it's like their attempt to save a dying brand, but I think they should at least formulate 2-3 new shades...

      Delete

Post a Comment

Leave a comment and I will get back to you! Commercial links and nameless comments WILL BE removed.